Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blogging: The New Frontier

Yesterday Oprah and Goldie asked how happy I was. It really made me start to think about what truly makes me happy. My family, Oreos and email come to mind. But mostly it's the joy of helping people.

The Big Life Change
When I made the decision to quit my job and stay home with c (1.5 yrs. old now, what???) I knew I was making a big sacrifice. Not only did I love marketing The Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club but I relied on the companionship and support of my co-workers. These people helped me adjust to Wisconsin life. They were the friends who watched my pregnancy bump grow. When I came home from the hospital in August 2009 all of a sudden I was alone. Well, I had c but he wasn't saying much. It was quiet. Way too quiet. I longed for the days of popping into a friend's office to chat about their weekend over coffee. I even missed getting interrupted at my cubicle for the 100th time in one day. So I logged on to Facebook 10 times a day, joined mom's groups, went to the Children's Museum, took c shopping--anything to socialize with adults again. 

Why a Blog?
I am constantly looking for fun things to do with c, reading parenting magazines to learn everything I can about my new job, spending time searching for the best deals, and sharing my thoughts about great (and not-so-great) products. I found I was constantly telling moms about my findings and realized I really do have a lot to say (was there ever a doubt?) So here I am. 

The goal of this blog is to be a resource for busy moms (and dads!) in Madison (and beyond!) looking for information on things to do, things to buy and of course, ways to save money!

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. Please come back often!

PS: If you are interested in taking the "Are you Happy?" poll start here

5 comments:

  1. I love love love your blog. So excited and proud of you. Love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story sounds so very familiar! I'm looking forward to following your blog, especially now I don't see you at HB playgroup anymore. -- Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome, Annie!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couple more savings ideas for things to do with small kids:
    Check out CommunityChange.org for the $2 BouncyTown gift cards this weekend. I can get both my kids in for less than half price and they love it!
    The Children's Museum in Madison offers a "Family Access" rate of $1 per person that is intended for families in County Programs (like Birth to 3); however they told me that it is also available for families unable to pay the full rate (I used to get my family in for $4 total, instead of $24 - thankfully Grandma got us a membership).
    New Play & Learn at East Town Mall - free, haven't checked it out yet though.
    SO many more things to do when the weather is nice - I recall there is a Madison Dad who has a whole website full of free things to do in Madison . . . can't recall his name though. I will come back and post if I can come up with his Blog name. Thanks for helping us find cool cheap things to do in Madison!

    ReplyDelete